Punjabi kadhi chawal is an all-time favourite in Punjabi homes. This Indian yogurt curry with rice is prepared by putting fried fritters in yogurt based curry.
|20 - 30 Minute
Ingredients for Kadhi:
- 1 1/4 cup sour curd
- 3 tbsp gram flour
- 1 tsp oil
- 4 red chilies
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seed
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp green chili (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2/3 cup water
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for pakodas
- 1 1/4 cup sour curd2/3 cup gram flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp green chili paste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
Ingredients for rice
- 1 cup rice
- 3-4 cups of water
How To Make Punjabi Kadhi Chawal:
Method For Making Pakoras:
- Take a mixing bowl; add gram flour along with chili powder, salt, baking soda, onions, green chili paste and coriander leaves.
- Add water little by little so that it can form a thick batter of dropping consistency.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying, drop spoonful of the batter into it in small ball shapes. Keep turning them occasionally. Fry them until golden brown in color. Fry the pakoras in small batches. Drain them on a kitchen paper to remove out the excess oil.
Method For Making Kadhi:
- Take a big mixing bowl, whisk sour curd with gram flour and water. Make a smooth mixture without any lumps.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric and salt.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and asafetida. When cumin seeds start to crackle add green chili, ginger and garlic paste. Stir well and add the sour curd mixer with one hand while stirring constantly with the other hand. Do not stop stirring otherwise lumps will form. Now lower down the heat stirring constantly till it starts boiling. Let it simmer for 10 -15 minute on low heat or till the kadhi gets thickened.
- Now add the fried pakodas to the kadhi and before serving garnish it with the coriander leaves.
Method For Making Rice:
- Wash the rice properly and keep aside.
- Take a pan, add water to it. Let it boil.
- When water starts to boil, add rice and salt. Cook for 15 minute and then reduce the heat let it cook till the rice in completely soft.
- Switch off the heat and drain the starch water by pouring the rice and water over colander.
- Put rice in a bowl and keep it cover till serving time.
- Serve hot with Punjabi kadhi.